Tax Sale Properties
June 18, 2019, 03:05:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tax List Property Listings Forum

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Tax Sale Property Main Site
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Trent Hills - Watch the high flooding Risk  (Read 28075 times)
Dave2
Senior

View Profile
« on: May 13, 2012, 08:32:29 AM »

From another post the trent hills tax sale that the pro's have yet to find is here.

http://www.trenthills.ca/en/services/resources/June132012TaxSalePackage2.pdf

Without getting into the specifics of individual properties, there is one general risk that affects a lot of those offered for tax sale I want to give people a heads up on. The risk of flooding.

Personally I believe it much higher then normal for some of these properties because of some factors up stream in the Kawartha lakes / Trent river systems.

Upstream  the height of land is Balsam lake and the last natural lake other then river widenings
is Rice lake.  So in effect we have a large drainage area feeding into a river.  

The problem is at Campbellford where if you drive through the town from the south you will note that the trent canal / river is above the town land in the center including to the east where the municipal offices are.  Thus in a year with high river flows the desire is to get the water through Campbellford and further downstream quickly.  

There are lots of dams in Campbellford so all you do is open the dams.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 09:23:39 AM by Dave2 » Logged
tyerant
Bronze

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 03:19:12 PM »

Looked at the results today... Looks like you purchased a waterfront lot...  Must not have been too worried?

What are you going to do with it?
Dave2
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 06:33:29 AM »

Looked at the results today... Looks like you purchased a waterfront lot...  Must not have been too worried? What are you going to do with it?  

Tyerant:

Simple answer: specialty use and maybe one of a kind property.  In fact so specialized in land registry it had no legal owner in land titles which is why I needed a tax sale to be able to buy it.  Wink

I can appreciate why you are really confused because if you check the typographical maps you will find that this is the type of property that is mostly flooded year round and is usually only occupied by birds that say "quack quack".   Grin

The key is the first rule of real estate; location location location. Normally little marshes (5 acres) like this have no real value.  However this one happens to be right across the river from what is called the Murray Marsh conservation area and about 1.5 hours drive from Hogtown.  

Quoting from the lower Trent conservation Authority.

Murray Marsh is the largest and most complete tract of undisturbed marsh and swamp forest remaining in southeastern Ontario.  Encompassing 10,000 acres, Murray Marsh is classified as a provincially significant wetland and is of regional significance for wildlife.  The marsh provides nesting and feeding sites for over 100 bird species.  This marsh is the only major flood water storage for the Trent River system south of Campbellford.  It serves as a giant filtration system for nutrients,  
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 08:58:48 AM by Dave2 » Logged
Ronster
Bronze

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 03:38:35 PM »

Prime migratory game bird hunting location... possible hunting lease opportunities?  I am curious as to what the leasing values might be... that is if you are don't mind sharing?
ruok
Gold

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 08:00:24 AM »

Ronster:Hunters are typically not willing to pay top dollar to hunt migratory birds. Guides or outfitters are usually the best option as they know the potential if they can use the land for their clients on a regular basis.
Leasing fields to guides for goose hunting can be a little more lucrative.
Dave2
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 09:51:56 AM »

Ronster:Hunters are typically not willing to pay top dollar to hunt migratory birds. Guides or outfitters are usually the best option as they know the potential if they can use the land for their clients on a regular basis.
Leasing fields to guides for goose hunting can be a little more lucrative.

Guys:

Bottom line is we don't know and it will be a couple years before I get enough experience to see if it is worthwhile to try again or listen to my boss's comments about my stupidity for the rest of my life.  Angry

In the interim it is too bad I cann't own the water in front of the property.  (see photo)

« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 08:59:53 AM by Dave2 » Logged
ruok
Gold

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 02:16:39 PM »

That fish looks like gold to me  It's a beauty!!!!
tyerant
Bronze

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 09:35:45 PM »

Good luck Dave...

I know land owners real close. Almost next door to this property.  However, they still hunt north of 7.  You would have to ask yourself why not hunt close to home?  Oh well, Fishing is fantastic!  And a lot less problematic (Bang Bang). They all fish regularly near by all year long... BUT, without accommodations close... like I said, good luck with your endeavors.

Dave2
Senior

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 02:48:48 AM »

Good luck Dave...

I know land owners real close. Almost next door to this property.  However, they still hunt north of 7.  You would have to ask yourself why not hunt close to home?  Oh well, Fishing is fantastic!  And a lot less problematic (Bang Bang). They all fish regularly near by all year long... BUT, without accommodations close... like I said, good luck with your endeavors.  

Tyerant:

North of highway 7 different type of hunting.  This is waterfowl hunting pure and simple and is an underutilized resource in my opinion.  Everyone thinks you have to travel great distances to have good hunting.  I agree fishing is great and I think only person on the board other then you who knows it is PFM 1011, who when he returns from sunny south will probably weigh in.  Much better then Rice Lake.

Until I can sort out the title issues caused by the devient road allowance I am pretty well prevented from offering it for sale.  Which direction is your friend from the property (north east?)  as I was thinking of checking with one of the neighbours.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 09:09:24 AM by Dave2 » Logged
netpred
Advanced

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 05:58:59 PM »

I was passing by Cobourg today and thought that I would pick up some winnings from Dave (as in liquid form). It turns out that Dave was in Colbourne and invited me for a "beer" at an "Irish Pub". Well, no Kilkenny, no Caffrey's, no Harp, no Smithwicks. Irish Pub my a$$. Oh well, the price was right.

After I was able to draw Dave's attention away from the waitress, the discussion focused on this property. This one is a real dog's breakfast. For starters, I don't understand how a property was first converyed without a Crown Patent. Second, the original surveyor seemed to have made a rather big mistake and then simply veered the road allowance to compensate for the error. Third, the federal government may actiually own this land and that raises an interesting constitutional issue in terms of jurisdiction over this property. There are other issues. The actual road follows neither the correct road allowance nor the deviated allowance. It may fall in part on Dave's property. Of course Dave's property may actually be elsewhere as suggested by an R-Plan.

Several morals to this story.

Can't get good beer in Colbourne.  Sad

Dave's wife will leave him after this disaster.  Sad

Even if you are experienced in tax sales and do everything right, you can get burned on tax sales!  Angry
ErnestBidder
Advanced

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 06:56:13 PM »

You can get good beer in Colbourne, but you have to know the guy who boils down the mash!  AND, if Dave's wife leaves him, can you arrange for me to meet her? After the many writings in which he has told tales, I am more than curious.

:>))
netpred
Advanced

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 07:02:05 PM »

Dave:

Yes, I travelled through blizzard conditions - but not for a beer. The beer was nice, but it takes a lot more than that to get me to drive 6 hours in the middle of winter.  Grin

Sorry, no other information - at least not free information!
tyerant
Bronze

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 09:16:17 PM »

Good luck Dave...

I know land owners real close. Almost next door to this property.  However, they still hunt north of 7.  You would have to ask yourself why not hunt close to home?  Oh well, Fishing is fantastic!  And a lot less problematic (Bang Bang). They all fish regularly near by all year long... BUT, without accommodations close... like I said, good luck with your endeavors.  

Tyerant:

North of highway 7 different type of hunting.  This is waterfowl hunting pure and simple and is an underutilized resource in my opinion.  Everyone thinks you have to travel great distances to have good hunting.  I agree fishing is great and I think only person on the board other then you who knows it is PFM 1011, who when he returns from sunny south will probably weigh in.  Much better then Rice Lake.

Well I do not know the people from the trailer park next door but do know a few folks in ear shot...BOOM BOOM... Good luck.  North of 7 = less populated, and more crown land nearby.  

BTW...  I am curious what lower Trent and other conservation agencies will have to say about what ever you wish to do with this property.  You did mentioned it's significance related to migratory birds... Good Luck again...  I suggest you market to bird watchers...

These properties do have value but probably not to the entrepreneur.  Do you wish to tell what happens with these types of properties after they are vested?  Particularly those that are environmentally sensitive or provincial significant?  Ahh but what do I know... I am a newby.

I just can't get over the issue that you warn people away and then toot your horn about buying the very property(s) you warn against.

Am I a green peacer or a disgruntled local (long time)?... no...  It just bothered me that you dished out some fear and then possibly took advantage of it.

I am just growing tired of the innuendo and self professed knowledge you google up... Please stick to your true knowledge, wisdom and facts.  It is valued... I have to admit, you do have a lot of valuable info to offer...

Trent Hills is a nice area and I have grown tired of your innuendos and inferences.

Hope this does not get me kick off the board... Took me all this time to live up to my username...

P.S. Dave, No ill will.  Just want to know where you are coming from... I have limited (2-3yrs) knowledge of this area but am willing to share what I know with all.
Thanks

« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 04:46:54 PM by tyerant » Logged
bobs
Gold

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 09:47:55 PM »

KUDOOS to you "Tyerant"

I am on the same page as you.  I am getting a little sick and tired of the b***sh*t rants on this site.  Get to the point, make it simple, and don't make me waste my time reading a post that goes on and on about nothing but keeps you reading in case you miss something.  I could care less about the local bar you met to have beers in!!

Don't get me wrong, there are many people on here that have an amazing amount of knowledge and I appreciate it.  Just get to the point, time is short.
DRD
Platinum

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 11:01:51 PM »

Tyerant

I give you karma for saying what you think

Cheers

Doug
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: