Tax Sale Properties
December 15, 2017, 05:40:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tax List Property Listings Forum

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Tax Sale Property Main Site
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Possible issues at two Havelock-Belmont-Methuen properties  (Read 587 times)
photon

View Profile
« on: November 21, 2017, 04:11:36 PM »

Hi forum, I just discovered this website and thought I would share a little research I had done that led me to give up on a couple of properties:

- In examining the hunt-club property at Cordova Mines, I learned that it used to contain an iron/gold mine. 100 years ago mind you but that was when these industries were polluting at their worst. Seems possible that lake was a tailings pond and is quite environmentally contaminated with serious compounds like arsenic and there may be liability for drainage to other properties. I haven't run a title search but found the info on the website here: www.marmorahistory.ca/cordova/

- The same township is selling a private island of ~1 acre in Round Lake. The township describes it in emails as zoned "Seasonal Residential" and so does OTS. However, inspection of the Belmont zoning schedule at www.hbmtwp.ca/en/township-services/resources/Documents/Comprehensive-Zoning-By-law-schedule-A1---belmont-ward.pdf reveals the zoning to be "Open Space" but in a way in which someone not paying attention could mistake it for "SR". Not much you can do with Open Space and it would explain why there's nothing built there already. I wrote to the township zoning officer about this yesterday and they haven't responded yet.

The township should have disclosed the former mine in their package to OTS - I'll bet it is well known to local residents - and interesting clerical error on the island since it distorts the value in their favour. Buyer beware.
someguy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 05:20:16 PM »

Thanks for the heads up,

I was looking at the 100 Acre property says it has a cottage on it. Went and had a look. The fire number for the property is on the acreage above the north lot. The cottage itself seems to be placed directly between the north and and the south lot. Township says south lot has the structure, north lot has nothing. Could be a big winner for the lawyers.
someguy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 04:12:47 PM »

According to ontariotaxsales.ca The hunt club listed first is now cancelled.
photon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 08:43:51 AM »

I guess the contamination at the hunt club was not so bad that the owner wouldn't pay up. Some other big issues on that site though, like submerged roads and ad hoc dams... I wouldn't have touched it.

I don't think the access at the acreage will be such a big deal, though. The house in maps is clearly on the south lot, you've got the principle of prior use re: the driveway and worst case, a new access road is put in place. House also looks fairly nice from the road. I personally didn't care for the property though - kind of far from where I live and I was hopeful that was a lake on the highway, but it is just swamp. But maybe I just saw it on a grim day.
photon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 04:11:32 PM »

Also, it turns out I'm not crazy - the HBM township got back to me today confirming that whereas they advertised the island property as "Seasonal Residential", their chief planner agrees it is in fact zoned "Open Space". So, the zoning listed on Ontario Tax Sales and elsewhere is wrong. They didn't mention what they were going to do about the fact that they mis-represented the property that is for sale. On SR you can build but you can't do much with OS zoning.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: