Tax Sale Forum > Questions and Answers

Where is my nearest Land Registry Office and what services does it provide?

<< < (2/5) > >>

Prospector:
Thanks for that extra bit Earnest!

If my LRR has POLARIS, does that mean I can search any property in the province locally? I am on my way out now to get the list of all offices in the province, but thougt I would see if the searches can be done locally to save some extra legwork.

If Franks motto holds true here, would you expect more info from the local offices than what you would get through POLARIS?

Do I have the wrong understanding of what POLARIS is?

danfreedom:
If anyone needs help doing searches, give me a ring (416.837.6725).  I recently got hooked up with e-reg and it's an absolute time saver (I'm a lawyer, that's how I got it).  The only problem is that it charges $18 for parcel abstracts, instead of $9 at most Land Registry Offices.  But it has many many LRO's at the touch of a click, so you don't have to drive to Thunder Bay. ;-)  Also because I'm a lawyer, it is illegal for me to bid against you for any properties you show interest in (conflict of interest).

And I read in one of these message boards that people are doing PPSA searches.  Here's some free advice: stop wasting your money with PPSA searches.  Most of the value of your bid is in the land/house.  The Tax dept usually only sells the property - i.e. they aren't giving you a bill of sale for the chattels/fixtures becuase they don't usually exercise that right under the Municipal Act.

ErnestBidder:
  I understand that a lot of RegOffs are not on the electronic system, and that cottage properties are better searched by a local free-lance title searcher. I wonder if the members, as a group, might trade info as to who is a dependable free-lancer, and see if they will give a discount for supplying members, who ask, with duplicate search results.

Corona:
Wow thats a great compilation listing, does anyone happen to have a list somthing similar for Alberta?

Rob:
Land Title Offices:

Edmonton

John E. Brownlee Building
10365-97 Street
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
T5J 3W7

Phone: (780) 427-2742
Fax: (780) 422-4290

Hours of operation:
8:15 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Monday to Friday
E-mail: lto@gov.ab.ca